Backlog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Release Tuesday: Dilemma

Hello and Welcome.

I know you are excited to hear about this awesome new game: Dilemma. Dilemma is the newest game by developer Tnek Sllennur of some other game he released before....

Ok, that's all completely made up. Dilemma is not actually a game (as far as I know of). It is, in fact, a dilemma.

So what is this dilemma? Well, writing about games is the dilemma. It isn't really the writing about games that is the problem, its the constant reviewing of games. With the limited resources we have available to us here and Nerd's Natterings it gets difficult to play (and review) a new game each week. Plus there is the fact that in the summer (yeah, I know it is already over) new releases are less frequent (though this summer had a decent amount).

Furthermore, I really want this site to be (as someone so eloquently put it) more than a bunch of press release inspired reviews. I would like to cover more interesting things, editorial style, all the while keeping it in the confines of our self prescribed parameters. Not that their is anything wrong with reviews.

Ok, enough rant. Today I want to talk about new releases, not a specific release, but the concept of new releases as they pertain to physical media.

With the advent of digital distribution (see DLC Monday) and the increasingly widespread use and availability of Broadband internet many, myself included, thought that physical media would soon be a thing of the past. Especially with each major platform promoting their own DLC service: Wii's Virtual Console and WiiWare, Xbox live arcade, and the Playstation Network, not to mention services like Steam and others on the PC. However, it seems that the opposite is happening. With Gamestop, one of the key distributors of video games here in the states, reporting increased earnings of 25-30% for the last few quarters of the last few years I don't see digital distribution becoming the mutually exclusive way to get games.

For me, it is a hard choice to make. On the one hand, I love the idea that I can sit in front of my TV or PC and see what came out this week and be playing it in minutes. On the other, I like to collect things and I am sort of a packrat. I enjoy seeing my collection of star wars DVDs, among others.

Of course, the thought of one less thing cluttering my house, and cheaper more easily accessible games is always appealing.

So, I pose the question to all of you readers. Would you rather pay $60+ for a game and have the physical disc, an addition to your collection, and more clutter? Or would you prefer to download all your games (and all that entails: more harddrive usage, no clutter, less driving, no collection.)?

Leave us a comment with your thoughts.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I know what you mean - digital products are more convenient and practical, but you do lose that sense of collection. Personally, I like collecting things too, so although I may be in the minority on this one, I still prefer to have a physical aspect to what I buy.

Contests