Backlog

Monday, October 6, 2008

DLC Monday: MegaMan 9

Hello and Welcome.

Wow, I love Mega Man.  Loved it since I saw that atrocious box art and knew I had to play it.  So this week I decided to talk about the recently released : MegaMan 9.


Love that box art, huh?  Capcom opted for a retro look to MegaMan 9, rather than the anime-esque approach of 7 and 8.  Keiji Inafune (and much of the original MegaMan team) wanted people to experience MegaMan in all it's simple and original glory.  Removing things like the Charged shot, and the slide, MegaMan 9 is MegaMan in the purest form.

One of the things that MegaMan 9 returns to, is the blistering difficulty of the original games.  Actually, its more than the difficulty of original games.  The original difficulty of MegaMan was a combination of the limits of programming and graphics.  MegaMan 9 is intentionally difficult at times.  It lulls you into a false sense of saftey, then attacks when you have no hope (or chance) of salvation.  Don't take my word for it, check out this video:


The music in this game is as good as any of the classics, MegaMan 2 and 3 not withstanding. (the Video above should give you a good idea.)

Capcom finally decided to be "progressive" and stray away from all this "Man" business.  Instead of 8 "Man" robots, they included one "Woman" robot.  Splash Woman to be exact.  She's a mermaid. Progressive right?



Another new feature of MegaMan 9 are the "Challenges".  These are feats(similiar to Xbox Live achievements) that accomplish nothing but bragging rights.  Some of the achievements for the XBLA version are derived from these.  For a least of Challenges check here.   Achievements here.

The last new feature I will talk about is the availability of DLC(for a DLC game?) .  The confirmed list includes Proto-Man as a playable character, as well as some additional modes, mostly higher difficulties (like we need that...)

Well, I am going to go back to trying to defeat the 8 Master (er, 7 master, and one Mistress?) Robots.  Luckily I have two controllers (in case I break one...)

~K

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Kent. I'm really enjoy Mega Man 9 but haven't seen that Game Center CX clip. The music rocks (pun intended?) and the game is neo-retro gaming at its finest.

By the way, do you have both a PS3 and Xbox 360 already? If you don't, I suggest you take a look at this Stacker 2 contest going on right now where you can win the system of your choice simply by designing a 6 Hour Power t-shirt. It's surprisingly easy to design online, and the contest ends tomorrow with less than 425 entrants so far. For contest details, go here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

By the way, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. If you have any questions, let me know since I work with 6HP. Definitely tell me if you enter too, and I'd be happy to vote for your design. Good luck.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Man, the new installment looks like a regular PITA old-school NES game. Love it.

I'm going to have to download this pronto.

Unknown said...

I've never sworn so much in my life... well, at least since playing Ninja Gaiden on NES. "!*$! BIRDS!!!"

Contests