Backlog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Unplugged Wednesday - 4th Edition DnD

Hello and Welcome to the first Unplugged Wednesday post.

Recently (OK, 4 months ago) Wizards Of The Coast released the 4th Edition of the Dungeon & Dragons Rules. This was in the wake of the creator's, Gary Gygax, recent death.

That's right D&D. If you didn't know I was a nerd before, well I just displayed my laminated card baby.

This week, we are trying something a little different. Nate (our other editor) and I recently had an IM conversation about 4th edtion. Rather than belabor the point, and for the sake of brevity ( yeah right, I know.) I have edited the conversation below:

[EDIT: Due to the length of the chat, I have hidden our discussion by default. Click the heading below to view it.]

Click to View Chat



Kent:
Ok. So we are talking about D&D 4th edition rules.
Nate:
Righty-O
Kent:
I think our first topic should be the difference between 4th and second edition.
Nate:
Well, obviously there is the reformation of the classes and the way spells are worked
Kent:
Right, they pretty much standardized everything in fourth edition.
Before it felt like a loose set of rules, each class having almost a completely different set.
Nate:
It makes it so much easier to work with your class and know that you have some breathing room whichever one you choose
Kent:
Exactly, they did a really good job of balancing the over all game with the new rules.
And that extends to the amount of work involved for all parties. DM and Player alike.
Nate:
Oh yeah, rolling seems so much more streamlined and easier to comprehend on both sides of the board
Kent:
Right. So, I think we should switch focus a bit and talk about The character Classes in the 4th edition core rules.
Kent:
Actually, before we go any further, I would like to clarify that neither of us has played 3rd edition rules, so we are basing all this on the 15 years or so between 2nd and 4th edition.
Nate:
exactly
Kent:
Ok, the classes. We have 8 base classes.
Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.
So, Nate, you normally play the healer class in, oh, EVERY game we play. What class are you playing in 4th edition?
Nate:
Due to pressure from different angles, I decided to do a Warlord this time and try out dps/tanking
what about you, Mr. I'm always an elf?
Kent:
Ha, right. Normally I go for the Ranger class. I always like the high damage classes, and the Mage class of 2nd edition, though appealing to me, didn't become even USEFUL until around 20th level. And that was only if you had good rolls.
But, thanks to 4th edition's amazing balancing, I opted for a Warlock this time.
Nate:
What about the new races. I knew as soon as I saw the Dragonborn, that's what I would be
Kent:
Yeah, I think they definitely took an interesting turn this time and put some unique races in the core rules. The races are: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elves, Half-elf, Halfling, Humans, And Tieflings.
The new races, Dragonborn (Pretty self explanatory.), Eladrin (Basically elves for people who don't want to play elves), and choice, Tieflings (think hellboy...).
Nate:
Each one has some pretty good racial talents too, right?
Kent:
Right, it is funny, because this game (D&D) which created and influenced so many others, has basically changed itself to a table top version of World Of Warcraft.
Nate:
yeah, I really felt that influence when I was reading through my 4th ed PHB
Kent:
So, speaking of racial talents, I think we should talk about the new skill system or "Powers."
Rather than make only a few races useful in a fight, they implemented a "Powers" System.
Nate:
Well, there are four types of powers
Kent:
Right: Daily, Utility, Encounter, and At will.
Kent:
So, this is where I feel WizardsOfTheCoast did their best work.
Nate:
you mean, you like this better than only being able to cast a spell 3 times before resting for a day?
Kent:
Ha ha, exactly. Or less..
So, At Will powers are basically attacks that you can do every turn, that never run out. So, rather than be a wizard with one magic missile spell to use in the whole dungeon, you are actually a wizard, who can command magical energies at your whim.
The next level up from that, are encounter powers. These can be used one per encounter (battle) and replenish after fifteen minutes of rest. Slightly more powerful than At will powers.
Nate:
oh definitely, I know that as I level at-will will be useful, but when we started out the campaign, I haven't even looked at using mine yet
Kent:
The nice thing about at-will powers, is they serve as your basic attack (other than basic weapon attacks) So ,you know, that level one mage can actually do something each turn, instead of try (and fail) to attack with his crappy D2 damage dagger.
Nate:
I agree, it's definitely a good thing to have
Kent:
And it also allows you to have attacks, as a fighting class, that are a little more interesting than :: Attacks with longsword::
Ok, Next are the Daily powers. These are basically the spells of the old D&D - each one can only be used once a day, and then again after 8 hours rest.
Nate:
They are definitely the most useful of my current powers
Kent:
Of course, that's why we can only use them once a day!
Nate:
...and that's why I like them
Kent:
Ok, Next are the Utility powers. None of us have these, (available at level 2) as we are all just peons at this point.
Nate:
Since I haven't really looked at these, what is the cool down on them?
Kent:
Well, the rules are kind of vague here.
Essentially Utility powers are powers that can be used (given a specific trigger) to over come obstacles.
They can be used as often as you like, given the specific conditions of the trigger are met.
An example is the Shadow Veil Warlock power.
Nate:
tell me about it
Kent:
It gives me +5 power bonus against stealth checks, till the end of my next turn. I have to use a minor action for it, but other than that, it is unlimited.
Maybe we should talk about the action types?
Each turn in battle You can use a combination of a move action, minor action, or major action.
Certain powers use different types of actions. Shadow Veil is a minor action.
Nate:
your major action is typically the attack, right?
Kent:
Typically yes.
oh, I forgot one, Free Action.
These are basically things like, battle cries, etc. Things that require no time or effort to preform.
Nate:
right, something that can be done while completing another action
Kent:
So lets go back to classes. I can't really think of any reason why this group of classes is bad. Especially with the introduction of the Power sources.
Each class draws their "powers" from one of three sources: Arcane, Divine, Or Martial power sources.
Nate:
three so far, more are coming
Kent:
Right as they add more classes.
Nate:
These basically determine what your above mentioned utilities draw their rolls from, right?
Kent:
Right. All powers use these power sources.
These are pretty obvious. Divine for healers, Arcane for magic users, and Martial for fighting types.
Nate:
Right
Kent:
Speaking of rolls, That brings up the "Roles" that classes play.
Again another wow type convention.
Nate:Nate:
OH, you mean like tank, dps, and healer?
Kent:
Right. Defenders (tanks) Strikers (DPS), controllers(Controls animals or people), and leader.
Nate:
yes, as we mentioned above, I'm traditionally a healer class
Kent:
These are elements that help in roleplaying, and deciding what each character should do to contribute.
Nate:
yeah, so you don't waste time trying to figure out who can take damage, you just send in your tank
Kent:
yep.
Kent:
Ok, lets switch gears again.
Kent:
One of the most lauded features is the Amazing new online features they have added for 4th edition. 3d character creators, character sheets, encounter creators, 3d dungeon creators, and a live dungeon map.
... Wait, what's that you say...
Nate:
hey Kent, this just in... none of that is up
Kent:
Oh, right, but, that's OK, the new rules have only been out for... oh yeah, 4 MONTHS.
Nate:
oh, right, I thought it was going live with the rules
Kent:
That was their plan, at least, that is what they said.
I mean, these features seem great, but the fact that they have been working on 4ht edition, and pimping these tools since early 07, and still have (almost) nothing to show for it , is somewhat ridiculous.
Especially, when they expect you to pay an MMO level subscription fee for most of these tools($15.99 a month kids).
unless you think that is reasonable?
Nate:
not at all, I don't think that a subscription is the right way to do this
at least in our situation. We play once a week and paying for that really can't be justified for me
Kent:
especially, since, at most, we may get to play 5 times a month for two hours a time.
15 bucks for 10 hours of tool usage?
And that is assuming that we play EVERY week, for the FULL time. Which hasn't happened in the what, 2-3 years we have been playing together?
Nate:
I know, but enough complaining.
what are your final words on 4th edition?
Kent:
yeah, to be honest, that online stuff is just on my "nice to have" list. I think my excitement for 4th edition is pretty much summed up by the fact that I read the PHB cover to cover TWICE in one week, and BEGGED our DM to let us roll characters. This was almost an entire month before we started playing.
Kent:
And your thoughts?
Nate:
Oh, I definitely agree, although I haven't read it cover to cover, I've been thoroughly enthralled with all the new possibilities for our campaign (specifically our abilities to play online). hopefully some online stuff will work out better for us
Kent:
Indeed.

Well, that is it for this week. If you want more information, I recommend visiting the D&D site.

~K

[Edit: If you are interested in joining our campaign, shoot me an e-mail]

No comments:

Contests