Backlog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

New Release Tuesday - RockBand 2

Hello and Welcome.

Wow, its hard to believe that less than a year ago, I was hauling all the Rock Band instruments out of the box, and trying to get my family to play it with me. And now, RockBand 2 has arrived.

Unfortunately for me, I broke my Drum Pedal about a week ago, during an intense online session with Nate and Dan.


The remenants of my Pedal


Thanks to a little ingenuity from Dan, I purchased some hardware to create my own Cyborg pedal.

Then New, Reinforced Pedal
It seems to hold up pretty well, so here's hoping I won't be paying $15 or more for a new one!

[EDIT] Some people wanted to know how I did this. See below:
Required Parts:

  • a small piece of metal with screw holes (I found this at Home Depot, but they have similar things at Walmart)
  • small screws (about 6) that will fit flush with the piece of metal. Try to get the shortest length that will fit with your metal sheet.
  • Broken Pedal
  • Super Glue (optional, but helps)

Steps:

  1. Do your best to fit the Broken Pedal back together (hopefully it is only in two pieces)
  2. [optional]Once the pieces are flush librerally apply super glue to the crack. (careful not to get any on the hinge!)
  3. [optional] Let the glue dry before moving on.
  4. depending on where your fissure is, align the metal piece so that you are able to fit at least 2 screw wholes over the hinge piece. The more screws on this side the better. make sure all screws are placed at least 1/4" away from the crack line ( to prevent further cracking.)
  5. once you have determined where your piece will lay, use something to secure the metal piece. (rubberband, tape, anything to hold it in place.)
  6. Use something to mark the holes you want to use. Whiteout works really well. Otherwise you will have to drill the holes with the piece on, which can be a pain.
  7. Remove the metal piece.
  8. Drill the holes. Make sure you use the appropriate drill bit for your size screw!
  9. Fit the metal piece back in place and put your screws in.

Viola! you know have your own Franken-Pedal. If you have any questions, post a comment!
[/EDIT]



One of the features that I feel really makes RB2 shine (I am looking at you Guitar Hero) Is the ability to import all the songs from the original (minus 1 or 2). Sure, you have to pay $5 to do it, but if you loved the songs from RB1 and want to play them with a shiny new veneer, well now you can.

The basic set list has 75 songs (plus 9 bonus songs). Add to that 247 songs available for download as of today, 55 of the original 58 RB1 songs ("Enter Sandman" by Metallica, "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden, and "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath are not available, thanks Guitar Hero...) for a total of 389, the set list is shaping up to be pretty awesome. I won't list them all here but it isn't hard to find the list.

For the truly hardcore, Harmonix has created a premium package that includes this . This Drum set was created by the Ion drum Company, and is also a fully functioning electronic drum kit. Or you can settle for the MadCatz Cymbal add-ons to make your drumming slightly more authentic.


ION Drum Kit

My favorite instrument is still the drums, but I seriously doubt I will fork over the money to get this drum set... Maybe the cymbals.

All of this makes me feel sorry for Konami. Konami actually started this franchise, but never brought it to the states. They had 3 different games, Beatmania ( a dj simulation game) Guitar freaks and Drum Mania . They are trying to get into the American market with their game Rock revolution, but unless you just have money to burn, not many people will be able to afford ANOTHER Band music game.

I don't really have much else to say about Rockband. You either get it (and love it) or you don't.

~k

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the new pedal. It looks much more credible now.

Contests